Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tutorial: folding potty seat carry bag


This is a little bag to carry a folding potty seat for little butts when out and about so they don't fall in! It is lined with treated canvas, and you can use anything from duck to table cloth vinyl to curtain backing for the lining. The main fabric was a fat quarter I had. You can also sew in a long piece of velcro to fasten, but I did little precut velcro with fabric glue. I use a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Cutting  main and lining

9.5 wide by 8.5 tall

flap (2 of main) 6.5 by 5.5
 - trim sides at 45 degree angle with ruler or use a quarter to round the ends




Then box the corners of the body pieces 1 inch (cut 1 inch squares out of the corners)



With right sides together, sew flap, trim corners, turn, top stitch. Then assemble main and lining.

add flap. To center a flap I find the center of it by folding and making a crease, then fold the back of bag and crease and set those together. I sew the flap first with an 1/8th seam. Then with right sides together pin main to lining, leaving at least 3 inches to turn.



Turn out from the hole, then top stitch around the whole top.



It was at this point I realized I needed something to close it with... so with fabric glue and precut velcro pieces I added closures to both ends to keep the seat in nice and snug. If it is too big for your potty seat, there is another folding seat that you would cut 9 by 8 to start becuase it folds a little smaller.

This was done for a friend, which is why I don't have a picture of the seat inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment