Thursday, April 14, 2011

Senatobia, MS

So today Rena, Bubba and I ventured a little ways south on 51 to Senatobia, Mississippi. The main reason for our trip was to go to the music shop there, Tobie's, for drum sticks for Rena. Our neighbor moved away and gave Rena a child's drum set, but had lost (or in mom terms, "lost" as in hid and forgot where they went!) the drumsticks.


The guy there was really nice, and they were well stocked for a small store, including a really good selection of used items. They also have lessons, including drum lessons! So next fall when the dust settles from a new year of school, we are going to do a trial lesson there. Rena is so excited.

Of course, there was a subway next door, so we didn't get to try any of the local places that were recommended to me, like Penny's Pantry.


Rena LOVES Subway. So we had to stop. Had to.


Bubba didn't seem to mind though. He was chilling watching everyone in the restaurant.

Of course, I chose to go down to Senatobia because there was also a new quilt shop. The guild took a trip down, but I can never do any of the daytrips because of the kidlets.Senatobia as a town is really cute. There is a neat thrift store and shops on main and a few of the side streets, and around the downtown there are some great older homes to look at! But nevermind the town, on to fabric!!



Cotton Treasures is located at 117 South Front Street right off of Main near the post office. Like Doctor Who's tardis, it is bigger on the inside than it looks from the outside. They have the shop in the front then a classroom in the back, and a long arm there too.



Chantay, the owner, spoke both my languages, fabric and SALE. See this bookcase of fabric? All of it was on sale for $3 a yard. Yup, $3. for the good stuff. a lot of 30's repro and civil war repro. I about died.



Chantay and Ann (from the guild!) were super sweet. They had a lot of really cool fabrics and notions. It is so worth the trip! I can't wait to go back, and hopefully take a class. It was hard moving down here from Franklin, TN because of the ladies I had met at The Quilting Squares. Now I have a new local shop! They also gave me the info on a woman who teaches smocking in the area!

All in all it was a good day. We went to the Hernando Library on the way home to pick up a book for Evie, and of course, Rena wanted her picture taken with the Star Wars figures on display.


My little ham, she was like "look! Daddy toys!"


This is the fabric I bought at the shop, for $13 total.






I'm kicking myself for not buying more. Might have to go back next week!

I am still piecing the Belle Meade quilt by Bonnie Blue Quilts. It is taking me forever, mainly because the quilt has 336 2 inch half square trangles. I did the 6 inch ones a while ago, but am still plugging through the little ones. With the leftovers from that quilt and the Stones of Franklin I did a while ago, I made this little lap quilt.





It's just half square triangles set on point, and I still need to add the piano key border, but it feels nice to get SOMETHING done.

Happy Sewing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment