Sunday, October 9, 2011

Doctor Who Halloween!

We are done with our Halloween costumes! Now, we have a rule in our house. We make our own costumes. We start planning for Halloween about the beginning of September. Why? Well, because that is how it was when I was growing up. My dad and I would start planning and sketching things out as soon as school started. We would start collecting materials and constructing by the end of September. Sometimes my sister and brother and I would just raid the closets and see what we could find. Other times, we would spend weeks working with glue, tape, cardboard and paint to make something different.

Another reason we make costumes is because when Evie was 2 she wanted to be Ariel. I started looking at costumes and decided to make her and baby Rena's mermaid costume because I thought it would be easy. It was. It was also lots of fun, and no one else had their costumes! On the other hand, I had a friend who spent $120 on a complete Disney Princess getup. Yup, $120 for a costume. Granted, it included the wig and shoes and jewels and a Disney store deluxe dress which her daughter played with until she outgrew it, but for me, that is a lot to drop on a kids costume! We have had years where we coordinated with friends for Halloween. At 3, Evie and her friend Lio were Japanese princesses. The year after the girls were Tinkerbell's friends with another set of sisters! It's just more fun to go in groups!

This year our idea for Halloween started with Evie, who wanted to be Amy Pond from Doctor Who. She talked her sister in wanting to be River Song, and it just went from there. As you know, I am the TARDIS, Vasi is The Doctor, and Kev is being Rory.


Kev's costume is all felt, and also cost only $12 to make! The girls clothes are from their closets and a few pieces from Goodwill. We found the wig at Joann Fabrics, all their Halloween stuff is currently 60% off.


Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment