Friday, September 10, 2010

I try to keep positive, I really do

But today I think I lost my faith in humanity. I actually had a preschool director and teacher show animosity towards a 4 year old. Worse, it was my 4 year old.

I'll back to the beginning, when we moved here I enrolled her in preschool at a nearby program that had openings. I told my neighbor about it, and she had worked with the director years before in Memphis. She warned me that this woman was inept, and she wouldn't trust her kids in any program run by said director. Well, the teachers we had were wonderful, and I really never dealt with the director, so we stayed. She had a great year and loved it. Forward to this year. First day, I get a call. They can not handle her behaviors in a classroom. I took note. Few days later, they called me to pick her up. She said they would work with me, I tried to give them some ideas, because really, she's 4. Instead of listening, the director told me they don't really have time, and told me all about her adult childrens issues. That was my second red flag, but we had since joined the church, and I thought the teachers would find what worked eventually. From then on she had both good days and bad.  I had a few discussions with the director, who refered me for testing. At the first testing session, I was told that they are wary of children sent from the school, because in the past 3 years they have had a lot of normal children sent for testing from the school. That was another red flag.

So we had been in school about 4 weeks. Just 4. I emailed her last week asking for a meeting with the teachers, to see what we could do. Instead of meeting with the teachers, she scheduled a meeting with the pastor. To me, that said ambush all over it. I was right. The meeting was basically to remove Rena from the school. It was aweful, and extremely unprofessional. When asked what was tried, they basically said everything, but could not give any specifics. Worse, both teacher and the director showed animosity towards a 4 year old. I was more shocked than anything, because here sat 2 adults that one, could not control their classroom, and two, after 4, almost 5 weeks were that hateful of a child. I think I felt even worse that the pastor sat there and just head bobbed with them.

*sigh* so what is next? Do I stay at the church? I was going to teach Sunday school this week, which I might, but I absolutely can not sit through a service. I can always find another school for Rena, but today she has been all out of sorts because her teacher told her she wasn't coming back and took her name off the door. I am glad she is out of there, but it should have been handled better. A lot better.

So thank you if you have read this, sorry I am being negative. I hate that I feel this way. I hate that my daughter was hurt by people who are suppose to be educators. I wish I knew what to do next, other than find a new school. I am waiting for my neighbor to get home, to tell her she was right, the director is inept.

8 comments:

  1. There is no excuse for how they handled it. It makes me so mad for you. Lots of hugs and prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's awful. I'd pull her, and never go back to that c hurch again, how can you? And I'd tell the pastor how I felt while I still had my anger. Doesn't she qualify for state services or are they that backwards? I know here, after 4 they'd be in free public SN preschool. Good luck... hope you have a good outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The teacher told her that and removed her name from the door??? That sounds sooooooo heartbreaking! I hope you're able to help her to readjust and process the situation. I'm sure she's a lovely, adventurous, curious, spirited 4-year-old who is full of potential! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just horrible! I am a raging Mamma Bear when it comes to my kids and I would be just beside myself to have to go through what you have! It all sounds so truly unprofessional. And as for your pastor....he is pathetic. Do they all need the pencils my kids have that say "What would Jesus do?" It surely wouldn't have been what the lot of them did to your little one. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. For your daughter, perhaps you can do what I have had to do with mine and start early to teach her that not all people are nice, being nice is a choice and sometimes even adults make bad choices. She is not responsible for their bad choices. Hugs work well too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh girl, I feel so bad for you guys. I know, when somebody messes with Nicole, I am all over them. Your in our prayers, dump the pre-school and definately, definately talk to that pastor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel awful for you . . . I'd actually find the Pastor's supervisor and have it out with them. Just because you are some sort of religious 'leader' doesn't make you super human - this one clearly made a very human mistake of being mean to a 4YO. AND telling her she isn't coming back and removing her name from the door - turn the preschool in!!!! That is plain and simply abusive. I certainly would not stay with that church - clearly their idea of Christianity isn't in any way shape or form in line with mine. I'm sure your own moral compass is far more accurate than theirs! Man, this just plain and simply PISSES me off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awful, awful, Awful!!! I'm sorry to hear that these happened to you and Rena. Did you reported it to the local BBB? It is a private for-profit entity so you might as well. Even if it doesn't solve anything at least it will be on their record for a while. Take care.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. That just makes me so mad. Some adults should not be allowed to be educators. And I agree that you shouldn't go to that church - and I would tell the pastor that things were handled inappropriately. I'm so sorry you had to experience all of that!

    Julia

    ReplyDelete